VIA Motors is looking for a Functional Safety Manager to take the lead in planning, implementing, monitoring and executing functional safety activities in complex automotive product development projects. This position requires a thorough understanding and hands-on experience with safety engineering in the context of ISO26262. You will spearhead the development and specification of vehicle-level functional and technical safety concepts as part of the Systems Team and consult on all aspects of the system decomposition and execution throughout the lifecycle. You will also coordinate the functional safety activities with all external suppliers in a project. This is your opportunity to join our growing team and be involved at the forefront of electric and hybrid-electric vehicle technology development.
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leading VIA’s overall organizational functional safety management efforts by working with internal and external resources to create and implement VIA Motors’ functional safety strategy from concept to production and establish a safety culture.
- Tailoring ISO 26262 process activities for integration into VIA’s product development process at the system, hardware, and software levels.
- Developing and maintaining a Safety Plan for all aspects of vehicle product development; taking charge of safety activities by coordinating and monitoring.
- Leading vehicle-level Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessments to establish functional safety goals with multidisciplinary engineering teams.
- Establishing and performing safety analysis methods at system and component-levels (e.g. DFMEA, FMEDA, FTA, etc.).
- Specifying requirements within VIA’s requirement management tool and maintaining traceability.
- Working with the engineering teams to specify functional and technical safety requirements.
- Contributing to feature requirements and providing functional safety guidance on feature definition.
- Overseeing safety verification and validation activities from planning to execution in collaboration with the Validation Team.
- Coordinating bench/HIL tests and system validation of technical safety requirements.
- Reviewing test case specifications for safety requirements.
- Reviewing external supplier work products for accuracy and alignment with VIA’s functional safety strategy.
- Assisting the engineering teams in technical safety discussions with external suppliers.
- Working with the engineering team, identifying and integrating safety related systems that are not developed according to ISO 26262 or are out of scope.
- Continuously improving safety culture, engineering processes, and product safety by looking beyond ISO 26262 to STPA and ISO 21448 (SOTIF)
- Providing functional safety-related training/briefing to the engineering teams, the management and external suppliers as required.
- Be the VIA functional safety champion!
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in a related engineering discipline (System, Controls, Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded Software, Mechatronics, etc.).
- 5-7 years direct functional safety management experience in a product development environment, preferably in the automotive industry involving complex, software-intensive systems, and distributed developments.
- Strong working knowledge of functional safety standards (e.g. ISO 26262, IEC 61508) a must, functional safety management training/certificate/experience with standard methodologies (e.g. FSCP, CFSE, CFSP, etc.) an asset.
- Proven experience leading system hazard/safety-analysis techniques (e.g. HARA, STPA, HAZOP, FTA, DFMEA, FMEDA, etc.)
- Experience applying top-down systems design methodologies and standards (e.g. Automotive SPICE, CMMI, DO-178B, etc.) in a product development environment for series production.
- Electric (EV) and Hybrid-Electric vehicle (HEV, PHEV) product development experience.
- Broad background or exposure to all disciplines involved in an EV/HEV development project - capable of communicating with teams made up of systems, mechanical, electrical, software, etc.
- Electric (EV) and Hybrid-Electric vehicle (HEV, PHEV) systems verification and validation experience an asset.
- Experience with PLM tools supporting ISO 26262 developments is preferred
- Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), the Systems Modeling Language (SysML) and associated tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect) a plus
- Experience with a Requirements Management tool (e.g. Jama, Rational DOORS, PTC Integrity, etc.) preferred
- Experience working on/managing international projects and global teams an asset
- Excellent written and oral communicator
- Team player who is easy to work with
- Combination of big picture understanding and vision with outstanding attention to detail
- Problem solver with strong analytical skills – comfortable with both theoretical and practical issues
- Able to work independently and within a team
- Strong ability to document work
- Able to prioritize tasks effectively and to communicate roadblocks promptly to management within a fast-paced environment where project / team priorities may shift
- A curious person who stays abreast of the latest techniques and technologies
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential information
- Able and willing to travel within US and Internationally
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Regularly required to sit or stand and move about the facility. Required to be able to read documents and computer screens.
- Occasionally may be required to lift up to 50lbs of equipment/parts for testing and/or fabrication activities.
VIA Motors is a private automotive company headquartered in Utah that is focused on electric and hybrid commercial vehicle applications across the globe. With our industry-leading technology, we work closely with our customers to create custom solutions that meet their unique fleet requirements. An electrified fleet will not only allow companies to meet existing and future emissions requirements, but will also reduce pollution, cut operating costs, and create healthier communities.